Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Probably not in my lifetime.



Wide Awake
David Levithan
221pp.
8.99 List price
8.99 Amazon price

*****
" "I can't believe there's going to be a gay Jewish president." As my mother said this, she looked at my father, who was still staring at the screen. They were shocked, barely comprehending. Me? I sat there and beamed"

Duncan, his boy friend and his friends re at the edge of a great moment in history- the election of a gay Jewish president. But the results in Kansas are called into question and the kids lives are altered in the course of the fight for the state.

This is a quick, delicious read, and i don't even consider myself a political person. This book was glued to my side for two days. I read it at home, on the train, between calls on the switchboard, everywhere I could steal a few minutes. I especially enjoyed the scenes where old timers were talking, I could tell by the cultural references that these were people of my generation in the future. A great feature of this book is the "Jesus Revolution" which happened after the "greater great depression" and  "the war to end all wars" and religious themes within, proving that not all liberals are atheists. The "Great Community" plaform does kind of sound like LBJ's "Great Society" initiatives. This was my third re read, and I know I will come back for a fourth helping.




No comments:

Post a Comment